Gonio Apsaros fortress

The Gonio Apsaros fortress, located just 12 kilometres south of Batumi, has a history that goes back to ancient times, with archaeological excavations revealing rich materials from the Hellenistic period (3rd to 1st c. BC). The first mentioning of the Apsaros fortress appears in works by Pliny the Elder, dating back to 77AD. The fortress was an important Roman fortification on the empire’s Eastern border with 1200-1500 soldiers.

(Webpage)